The Diabetes Service provides eleven general outpatient clinics per month in addition to specialist clinics for Young Adults (16-25 yrs), Diabetic Foot, Insulin Pumps, and Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes and a Combined Renal Diabetes clinic.
Diabetes Day Centre
At the core of the Diabetes Centre is the Diabetes Day Centre, which provides holistic multidisciplinary care to patients and families. Our aim is to promote self-management for patients while minimising the risk of developing diabetes-related complications.
- The centre operates on an appointment system.
- A telephone service is also provided for support, advice and to triage emergencies.
- We offer individual education and structured education programmes for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. One such programme is the DAFNE programme, a 5-day programme for outpatients with Type 1 diabetes. Six DAFNE programmes are run per year.
The Diabetes Centre is also a major resource for other health professionals in the Hospital and the community.
Research interests of the department include continuous glucose monitoring, continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion therapy, hypoglycaemia, transplantation, cystic fibrosis related diabetes and diabetes vascular disease.
Telephone: (01) 809 2744 / 2745
Fax: (01) 809 3370
The Diabetes Day Centre is open Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 4.00pm.
Consultants in Endocrinology / Diabetology
- Professor Christopher Thompson: Dial switch at (01) 809 3000 and ask for Bleep 272
- Dr Diarmuid Smith: Dial switch at (01) 809 3000 and ask for Bleep 133
- Dr Amar Al-Agha: Dial switch at (01) 809 3000 and ask for Bleep 029
|Clinical Nurse Manager||Helen Twamley||(01) 809 2744|
|Clinical Nurse Specialists||Sonya Browne||(01) 809 2744|
|Anne O'Reilly||(01) 809 2744|
|Jacqueline MacMahon (inpatients)||(01) 809 2744 or dial (01) 809 3000 and ask for Bleep 846|
|Lisa Killarney||086 0245834|
|Amanda Ledwith(Community)||086 8139734|
|Staff Nurses||Siobhan Toner||(01) 8092744|
|Secretaries||Elizabeth Martin||(01) 809 2745|
|Sharmaine Callaghan||(01) 809 2744|
Please use the Clinic Search feature to find information about Diabetes clinics.
Special notes for diabetes outpatients
Before you attend a diabetes outpatients clinic, you will need to have blood tests. Please contact the clinic secretary for details. Telephone numbers are listed in the Clinic Search feature.
When you attend a clinic, please bring your medications or up-to-date prescription.
If you are having an annual check-up on your eyes, please do not drive.