The Histopathology Department at Beaumont Hospital is comprised of the following subsections:
As well as providing a service to the hospital and local GP catchment area, it provides a histopathology service for the national referral centres in neurosciences and renal transplantation. As a histopathology laboratory in a designated cancer centre, the laboratory provides diagnostic support for a range of tertiary referrals such as breast cancer.
The department participates in the North Dublin rotation for the training of histopathology NCHDs and is linked to undergraduate teaching of medicine in the RCSI.
Extensive research is carried out within the department. It also holds strong research links with several institutions in Ireland including RCSI, St James’s Hospital, Trinity College, UCD and DCU. In collaboration with the RCSI, two bio-banks collect tissue: One containing somatic neoplasms and the other of which is a brain bank.
The consultant staff is involved in a range of national and international academic working groups and other medical organisations.
Through the Hospital's main switch, a 24 hour on-call consultant service is available.
- Beaumont Hospital Laboratory Users Guide
- Molecular Histopathology User Manual
- Molecular Histopathology Test Request Form
- Dublin Brain bank
- Royal College of Pathologists
- General number: (01) 809 2632 / 2636
- Department fax: (01) 809 2955
- General histopathology and cytology: (01) 809 2632 / 2636 / 3150 / 3919
- Neuropathology: (01) 809 2072 / 2631
- Renal pathology: (01) 809 2008
- General histopathology / cytology lab: (01) 809 2353
- Neuro lab: (01) 809 2633
- Renal lab: (01) 809 2634
- EM lab: (01) 809 2630
- Mortuary: (01) 809 2828
- Post mortem room: (01) 809 2679
- NCHDs: (01) 809 2638 / 3435
- Dr Christian Gulmann
- Prof Elaine Kay
- Prof Mary Leader
- Dr Anne Marie O’Shea
- Dr Maeve Redmond
- Dr Cliona Ryan
- Dr Marie Staunton
- Dr Francesca Brett
- Dr Michael Farrell
- Dr. Jane Cryan
- Dr Anthony Dorman
- Dr Brendan Doyle
Chief Medical Scientist
- Mr Colm Buckley