St. Joseph’s Hospital Campus - Medical Social Work
About Our Medical Social Work Services
The Medical Social Workers provides a range of supportive services to patients, families and those affected by illness and hospitalisation.
We provide many services, including:
- Counselling relating to illness and its impact on patients families.
- Addressing issues regarding discharge from hospital and after-care.
- Helping patient’s access services such as further rehabilitation, community supports, respite care, convalescence and long-stay nursing homes.
- Providing information on welfare entitlements.
- Providing bereavement support and crisis help following traumatic events.
- Liaising with statutory and voluntary groups.
- Referring patients and families to support groups.
The medical social workers provide a service to one or more hospital consultants.
The Social Work Dept can be contacted as follows
- John McDermott, Rehabilitation Unit - 01 8774912
- Emer Scahill, Day Hospital - 01 8774913